A week ago finally bit the bullet and bought one of the White River $100 fly rod combo kits (9' 5 wt), at my wifes urging to get off the fence and just do it. Also bought a few "store bought" flies. Fished with it a little and caught a few fish. So far, so good.

Salesman at Bass Pro was a nice guy to talk to and seemed to know a lot about fly fishing. Mentioned they were having classes on using a fly rod and also fly tying. I had mentioned to my wife that tying flies might be right down her alley. She does all kinds of crafts including beading, knitting, spinning, making jewelery, and I don't know what all else. So she signed us both up for the free fly rod casting class and herself for the free fly tying class. Both 2 hour classes were well worth the time (bout a two hour drive for us to get to the store).

Well she tied 4 flies while in the class and we came home with three parts to a kit for fly tying. So far she is working on the 7th fly for the day, and mentions "this is addictive". So looks like I will no longer have to worry about buying store bought flies.

Looks like we are both into fly fishing, in one fashion or another.

Last edited by snrub; 08/23/14 10:35 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine