It is a matter of opinion and you will get lots of opinions. If you want a few larger bass and others 0.5 to 2 lb (8"-15")then I think you are better off to use mixed LMB with a few to several CP. I would only add a few CP after the first bass spawn then wait and watch the progress. As you see the bass recruiting numerous new small bass then you can add a couple more CP (12"-14"), then wait and watch. Watch for apparent numbers of smaller bass (4"-6") each fall and your ability to catch small bass. When small bass are scare, then remove at least 1 CP maybe two. Then the next fall small bass should be more apparent or appear in angler's catches. When you have 20 to maybe 27 mixed sizes of bass in the 1/2 ac expect to not see hardly any smaller 4"-7" YP. Then you may have to resort to using BG and/or HBG being your main panfishes. Yellow perch have a very hard time thriving with LMB and with CP present,,, I would be surprised if any hatchling YP survive to be 8" long. Save all this information as reference for when the pond is 2-8 yrs old. Then you will need and appreciate the advice.

IMO 25-30 bass up to 4 lb in 1/2 acre will be hard to achieve in a clear water natural production pond. You may have to strive to keep the LMB numbers in the range of 12 to 15 individuals if you want the larger sizes.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/03/14 08:14 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management