I am looking into improving the water quality of my pond before stocking and possibly adding aeration while I continue to debate which stocking route to go. I have owned this pond for one year now and it has maintained a chocolate milk like water color for the year. I have done a few jar tests and the sediment always settles after a few days. So am I understanding that this means either wind or some form of bottom stirring is happening? There are no fish except for mosquito fish present. Also have seine netted the pond and found crawfish and there are many turtles that inhabit this place right now. They don't presently bother me but could this be the cause? Also regarding the turtles when I do stock will they consume my hard earned dollars..if so they will swim in the big pond in the sky..for now we can coexist.

Its not that I mind the water color too much just wondering what the positives and negatives are in potentially clearing it up? I have read many posts about adding lime to clear up the water but also understand that it may add to vegetation problems. I would rather not SO clear water and not having to add chemicals. This pond is .18 acres and 8 ft. deep in middle. I am looking at aeration, have plenty of wind action since we live 8 miles inland from gulf coast but am inclined to go the electric route since I have power at pond and will need it most during 105 degree August days with no wind. Would a 1/4 hp pump and 1 diffuser be sufficient?

Any advice is appreciated. Here are a few pics I took yesterday evening if they help.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have learned to stop taking it so seriously"