A flow through coldwater pond can be quite small that is fed by an artesian well or just a well.

My 1/10 acre (59 by 88 feet) trout pond produces 500 lbs. of brook or brown trout after planting at 6 to 8 inches and a 2 year period.

I've produced brown trout up to 12 lbs., rainbows just under 10 lbs. and brook trout over 6 lbs.

At 45 gpm 24/7 from a well from some time in May to the end of September, sometimes in to October my water stays about 60 degrees from top to bottom except for the top few inches that are in the low 60's on really hot days.

I do deal with prolific Chara and some filamentous algae although not much of the FA. Iron discolors the water to a smokey green but seems to have no effect on the trout. It also acts as a light barrier somewhat to Chara growth although I still get my share of it.

Electrical costs are about $100.00 per month but I recoup that when I sell the fish to a taxidermy market.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/11/14 08:37 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.