Dono, I have used liver in the past to catch crayfish, (crawdads is what I always called them) and the next day I had crawdads and bluegills. This time I was using canned cat-food, dry cat-food, dry dog food and bacon.

Here is my thinking about the farm field runoff into the streams. I have a farm so I am trying to be honest in my thoughts. I have walked the White River starting with in a mile or two of the head waters where it starts. I find eel grasses and water vegetation for a ways down steam and then it just disappears. Now you would think that with the farm runoff of fertilizer that there would be lots of water plants because of the fertilizer but there isn't. So I believe the herbicide runoff kills the water plants overcoming the effects of the fertilizer in the streams to promote plants. I believe this isn't natural for plants not to be in streams. I kayaked one stream feeding a reservoir for drinking water to a nearby city and it was the most desolate water I have been on. It was so quiet, no birds, no minnows, nothing. On the other hand I have been on a stream in northern Indiana in an Amish community where I could not detect any pollution and the stream was filled with eel grass. I also found these pristine conditions in Canadian streams. So if I were to go out to the same place in White River where 73 years ago family's caught a washtub full of fish for supper I think you would get nothing. So I ask myself what has change so much, and it is farming and what we discharge into the water. But we have to have food for a growing population and there is a cost.

Snrub, your theory could be a good one for one year but not for 73 I think.

Last edited by John Monroe; 05/08/14 03:18 AM.