I well remember using glass shrimp as bait on False River outside Baton Rouge, LA. Both coppernose and redear (we called them shellcracker) absolutely loved them! And yes, the occasional bass or catfish would eat them like candy, too.

They were sold in certain bait stores in Baton Rouge, typically in a container with damp mossy type material rather than in water. My dad remembers putting ice cubes at the bottom of a containers and then moss. The melting cubes kept the shrimp moist and cool even on the hottest days. He says the cool vapors rising from the ice seemed to keep the shrimp particularly lively.

I remember being puzzled at how an aquatic creature survived outside of water, but they did quite well.

Hope to begin building a pond soon in NE Texas. When I do, grass shrimp will definitely be on the list. They are fascinating and fun, especially for kids!

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160