I have a question that I can’t find an answer too. I decided that you guys would be the best source for information.
This question is more academic in nature and maybe some of the science behind my thought process is flawed.

I am asking about marginal trout water, lakes and ponds, that have adequate depth to provide cold climate but become devoid of oxygen at that depth during summer. If you were to aerate the water with a diffuser or bubbler you disrupt the thermocline and bring warm water down to the depths and defeat the purpose of creating good trout habitat. I know you can elevate the diffusers to try and leave some undisturbed cold water or only run them at night to minimize thermal problems. I understand that these oxygen devoid zone are occurring because light is not reaching to these depths and photosynthesis is not able to occur, and that bacteria are respiring using up any oxygen that was there.
What would happen if you created a bunch of grow lamps in a water proof glass casing, and they were vacuum insulated to minimize heat transfer, and submerged them to the bottom of your marginal lake and had them running off of solar power 24/7 during the summer? Would these lights be able to support enough plant life or phytoplankton at depth to oxygenate enough water to provide safe summer refuge for holdover trout? What they give off too much heat to be useful?
Thanks for any and all responses. I think that this could work and I think it would be a reasonable solution to low oxygen at depth.
Thanks again,
Oliver

Last edited by oliver10; 05/02/14 11:08 AM.