Originally Posted By: SK63
1 acre..deepest is 12 feet, average is probably 4'. My neat little ClineFinder temp gauge broke on me so I don't know the temp but doubt it's a factor as this phenomenon occurs all season long. I couldn't imagine the bacteria working this fast either but it's obvious, it does. I was just out there and the fish are back to top water feeding and it's just came back to life....very odd but it's the same pattern. . Yes, I can and will test the nitrates. I was trying to think back to when this started and I think it might have been about the same time I added the Gizzard Shad about 3-4 years ago.

I'm here in Kansas City

Test for ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates are quite benign and probably won't be very high anyway due to assimilation by plants and algae.

Gizzard Shad are not a good thing to have in such a small pond.

Have considered that you have predator fish show up from time to time and it's just a coincidence that you are add the bacteria after they go away?

Or perhaps you are making some splashing when you add the bacteria which makes the fish key in to feeding on pellets?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/23/14 09:40 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.