One thing that pops into my mind when hearing about a pond needing cleaned out, after having cleaned out three of them myself, is the question if there is an alternative site to just build another pond.

If the pond is strategically located, or the land availability makes the current pond the only option, then often cleaning out the existing pond is the only available avenue. After having cleaned out ponds myself though, it is my opinion that sometimes it might be just as cost effective to build an additional new pond and leave the old one as is or do just little improvements. For example, if a pond is in a remote location and another location is available that is just as good for a pond, building a new one and leaving the old one might be a good choice.

This obviously is not going to work for everyone or every situation. In fact, probably only a few specific situations.

I just bring the idea up, because for some people and situations, starting over and adding to the pond numbers might be the best choice over refurbishing an old one.

Not my recommendation to you countryjwh, just something to add to your thought process.

Last edited by snrub; 04/13/14 12:09 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine