Another productive day of Operation Crappie Eradication along with 3, 12" and under LMB. And this doesn't include the 50 BCP caught and cleaned after work from Mon-Wed.

But I have a minnow question.

Using minnows over the crappie jig was about a 2:1 catching ratio. So I'm wondering, instead of buying minnows from the bait shop at $2-$2.50 a dozen, I can get 1000 FHM for $35 from my "fish guy".

I know this is going to be a big "it depends" answer, but if I were to put 1000 FHM in my 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank along with an air-stone, covered in my shop, changing the water periodically, along with very light feedings (if necessary) does anyone have an idea as to how long I can reasonably expect them to survive? And if 1000 is too many in the 100 gallon stock tank, I have a 6' round galvanized stock tank I could use as well (but more work to get it prepped and in the shop).

If I use a dozen a day it would take about 90 days to go through 1000 FHM, although many more would be used on my upcoming Crappie-thon-eradication weekends (kids, friends, family, etc.).

Maybe it's more trouble than what it's worth and keep in mind I don't want to raise them, I just want to keep them alive. But cost-wise if FHM would be the right bait for getting these Crappie out, I'm willing to try! And they still haven't spawned yet so I'm on a major quest to get them out before they do (along with an already freezer full of filets)!

Thanks in advance for any help, ideas and/or advice!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES