Greer, welcome to Pond Boss. BTW, there's nothing new or unusual about your question.

Yes, it's possible for a couple of years to have a sustainable/do nothing pond. You stock fish, they spawn and 97% of the babies are eaten by the other/larger fish. However, at some point, they will over spawn and fail to thrive. Oxygen depletion occurs and you have a die off of 97%(or some #) and it all starts over. Cleaning up after a kill isn't much fun.

In parts of East Texas, pine tree country, there is a reasonable chance that the water will have to be fertilized. Prior to fertilization, you will need to add lime. In other words, a lot of East Texas land and water is infertile without human intervention.

I liken this to rabbits in the field without coyotes. The rabbits reproduce and do nicely for awhile until they over eat the grass. Then, they die off and the cycle continues. All prey needs a predator.

I have never seen a REALLY sustainable pond.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP