For you guys that have tank raised some fish as in yellow perch, redears, smallmouth bass, tilapia, etc. have you ever seen a sudden marked increase in appetite for no apparent reason?

Not a bad thing of course but the perch in my basement ras suddenly act as if they can't enough to eat and can actually get me wet with their aggressive feeding on floating pellets, which has never happened before. This has been going on for a week now. They fed O.K. previous obviously as evidenced by their excellent growth for fish that are still shy of one years old but not like this.

All water parameters are the same such as water temp, PH, NH3, NO2, NH3, oxygen, etc. NO increase in water temp.

Although the room is kept fairly dim with a light on a dimmer switch, I thinking the fish can probably detect an increase in the photoperiod as the room is not closed and light does come in down the hall from a window in my taxidermy shop. Could this be the trigger?

Can anyone else relate?

Keep in mind if these 8 to 11 inch fish had gone through a chill period they probably would be ready to spawn. OTOH if the water would have been kept that cold they wouldn't have been nearly this large, and possibly wouldn't have been sexually mature for another year.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone that has or had fish in tanks that have experienced this.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/24/14 10:41 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.