Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Originally Posted By: Jeff Shuey

As I stated previously, I was surprised by some of the "warnings" posted by people on this site about winter kill.

Warnings are just that. A person should be warned that the more variables they tip out of their favor, the more likely they are to have a winter kill. Many members here have experienced winter kill, and are simply trying to keep people on alert to the potential causes and signs. No need for you to be arrogant or critical of the Pond Boss members.

Northern pond owners should follow advice offered by forum experts,[including veteran pond owners and pond/fishery management professionals] who recommend periodic shallow water aeration or well irrigation to open of areas of PROLONGED snow covered or thick, opaque ice which may interrupt photosynthesis and result in a lethal DO sag. No aeration or well irrigation - one can remove strips of snow to ensure light penetration with snow-blower or shovel.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]