I have a Shihl 180C with 16" bar that I find as I get older run it two to three times as much as the 310. If I'm cutting a lot of big stuff I get the 310 with the 20" bar out, but the rest of the time the lighter 180 does enough work to wear me out.

In years gone by have had Homelite 360, Huskvarna, Poulan & Poulan Pro models. Can only remember one that was a dud (rope always breaking and hard to start - not a good combination), and it was a cheapie Poulan, but had another cheapie Poulan later from WM and it was a pretty decent little saw. Gave it to grandson when I got the Shihl 180. Can't say I had a lot of trouble with any of them, except the one. Have always either sold wood or burned wood myself so put them all to a fair amount of use.

Had the two Sthils a few years now and been happy with them. Still technically have a Huskvarna and Poulan Pro (can't remember the models but something around 45cc's) but have handed them down for general farm cleanup use so someone else runs them now.

Have never owned an Echo but son had a John Deere two cylinder saw that was made by Echo and it was a good saw. So I would guess most of the brands make pretty good saws.

I did not know the flip caps on the Sthils were such a bad thing till I was informed of it here. Seem to work ok for me. Usually have to take one glove off to operate them though.

I prefer a 16" bar on a limbing saw (as opposed to a shorter one) just so I don't have to bend over as far. But I'm over six foot tall.

Last edited by snrub; 03/14/14 01:43 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine