I sunk 10 of these recently in our pond (stocked with bait in April last year and bass/catfish in fall).

Our pond has most of the cover that the pond builder put down in 7+ feet of water, and some of it was not put down with much thought for how you'd fish it from a bank... mad

I put a 5' 1/2" PVC pipe in the middle of the bucket and left it about 2-3" out of the water at a "full" pond level (we have a rip rap spillway and our pond really doesn't drain much, so it's pretty constant level with our pump).

2 buckets I set in the "hump" that's in the middle of our pond on the right (it's 7' deep now; I used 10' of pipe on those and cut after I got them set). That took some skill to hit on a windy day considering I dropped all these from my kayak. I got a bucket on either side of where that log comes into the hump (so I could mark the log as well).

The rest I set either in the corners of the pond, a half cast from our dock, or to where they're a reference to our upside down tree stumps (which are a PAIN to fish if you don't know EXACTLY where they are).