Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: snrub
Originally Posted By: esshup
Did you try using a cutting lube for the rubber? WD-40, dish soap, etc? I've learned that when drilling holes, (with any type of drill bit) the holes drill easier, and the bits last longer if lube is used.

FWIW, call around to find a sharpening service. They should be able to sharpen those step drills too, if they can sharpen regular drill bits.

Never even crossed my mind of trying cutting lube on rubber.

Try it, but make sure that you have a good hold on the drill. I've had the bit grab and just corkscrew through material instead of cutting a hole. Not the step drills, but regular drills. It never happens with the small bits, typically around 1/2" and larger. Immediately 2 things go through my mind. 1) I gotta let go of the trigger. 2) If I let go of the trigger, I'll relax my grip on the drill and get hurt. So, what usually happens is I ride it all the way to the chuck, or until it runs out of flutes. grin

I had some success with wood spade bits. They dull pretty quick, and when they go through they leave a ragged hole, but at least they do not corkscrew down like you say.

Now that I think about it, something I DID NOT try but might work is either a circular saw with abrasive blade or angle grinder with metal blade and just cut slits in the tires. All I was trying to do was make them so they would not accumulate gas. Just any way to quickly get a number of holes in them was the object. I might have been trying to do it too neatly. Big 9" angle grinder with thin cutting blade might make short work of it. I kinow I got tired of drilling holes in tires.

Some say EPA even says we are not supposed to use them for under water. I don't know for sure about that though. Guess I am just storing them there out of the sunlight till I need them again.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine