Something I have considered for the very most dense portion of the cover (maybe to replace some of the finer limbs of the cedar trees when they wear out) is baler twine.

I was thinking find a farmer that feeds round bales that either uses netting or the old plastic twine. There is usually wads of this stuff laying around feeding areas they would probably love for someone to haul off. Take some orange plastic fencing material (the kind construction sites use to fence off areas for safety reasons) or any other kind, zip tie a length into kind of a pillow shape, stuff with the used baler twine and/or baler netting, stuff a couple of rocks in there for ballast, then zip tie the final end.

Lay on the bottom or use giant zip ties to tie off to old underwater structures. I'm a scuba diver so this is not a problem for me. Might be for others.

A very good inexpensive source for giant zip ties is a heating/air commercial supply house. You can buy them in bags of 100 that are thick and three feet long for about as cheap as you can buy regular small zip ties in a Wal-Mart. These big ones are used to zip tie up heating and air ducting in houses.

I have not tried this, but plan on it this summer. The orange plastic fencing material should keep the twine and/or netting contained so it does not make a fishing nightmare. It should be dense cover and could be as dense as one wants to pack it or left more loose and even zip tied in bundles around inside the fencing if a person wanted some open space in the middle of the habitat "pillow".

A little manure rubbed into it from the feed lot ought to be a bonus. Should get a good bloom of good algae and bugs started on it right away.

Just my hair brained idea to use some throw away stuff.

Last edited by snrub; 02/20/14 08:47 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine