Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
Fertilizing to prevent unwanted plants can be pretty tricky.
Well said Theo! My thoughts are probably even stronger, from personal first hand experience, using fertilizer to prevent unwanted plants can be much like throwing gasoline on an existing fire.

My experience would say to get the vegetation under control first before using fertilizer as an aid in prevention.

I've had good luck using Reward to get vegetation under control (after disasterious results with fertilizer) to the point where relatively small numbers of GC can maintain a good equilibrium.

With lots of acres of shallow water, vegetation control is probably going to be a recurring problem, but with your great bass fishing maybe that problem can be viewed as also somewhat of a blessing.

Maybe you've heard the story of Lake Conroe? Lake Conroe is a very nice lake north of Houston that at one time had fabulous LMB fishing. They developed a problem with hydrilla and the property owners convinced authorities to kill off the hydrilla with chemicals and mostly with huge numbers of grass carp. The result was a hydrilla free lake and terrible LMB fishing.