Originally Posted By: WRFinTX
One more question. Can someone explain the differences in surface vs. diffuser aeration? I think I am correct in thinking bottom diffuser aeration mixes the water column more effectively ...not necessarily a good thing in hot texas weather. And surface provides water movement providing more oxygen but allows for a thermocline to remain? I am probably seriously off base.

Originally Posted By: esshup
You pretty much hit it on the head, unless you combine a surface agitator with a tube that allows water from deeper in the water column to be brought to the surface.

As to whether it's more O2, that all depends on how it's measured. wink grin
I'll bet George will have a slightly different take on it, and I'd say his take on it is correct too. grin

I believe the key to your decision as to selection of bottom diffuser or surface aeration is depth and dimensions of your of your water body, and I failed to ask that question.
I believe esshup and I both agree there is a need at times for operation of one or both systems, which we have in our 2 acre pond, and no aeration in 1/4 acre pond with no fish kill ever. The challenge is managing the biomass.
My primary goal is coping with ever-changing water volume due to drought conditions and my pushing the limits on biomass to prevent another major fish kill.

What is your pond depth – I believe that will give you the answer.

George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)