Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
chin_monster, Km17, Jhust, Cionweest, Kansan
18,589 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,111
Posts559,642
Members18,589
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,727
ewest 21,550
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,198
Who's Online Now
7 members (catscratch, Drago, Theo Gallus, Boondoggle, Sunil, FishinRod, Don Kennedy), 1,114 guests, and 202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Originally Posted By: esshup
Lovnlivin:

I have a fireplace insert. Pretty much the largest one that is made - enough to heat a 2500 sq. ft house (so the literature said). It uses outside air for combustion, and a fan to circulate air around the unit.

For the amount of wood that I burn, I would have gotten more heat from a stand alone wood stove, and probably burn less wood. My sister has one in their basement, and it heats the whole house with less wood than I use. Their house is insulated about the same as mine, and is about the same square footage.

If I had to do it again, knowing what I know now, I would have figured out a way to make room for a stand alone wood stove instead of an insert.

Esshup, I would rate my brother's insert as more of a stand alone wood stove since the majority of it sits outside of the FP. I just couldn't believe how little wood he burned and how much heat it was putting out.

The next time I'm over there I'm going to get some details and photos. There's just so many mixed reviews out there on inserts, even throughout the many forums I've visited. And I don't want to drop the $$ until I know it'll be worth the investment.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Lovnlivin:

I have a fireplace insert. Pretty much the largest one that is made - enough to heat a 2500 sq. ft house (so the literature said). It uses outside air for combustion, and a fan to circulate air around the unit.

For the amount of wood that I burn, I would have gotten more heat from a stand alone wood stove, and probably burn less wood. My sister has one in their basement, and it heats the whole house with less wood than I use. Their house is insulated about the same as mine, and is about the same square footage.

If I had to do it again, knowing what I know now, I would have figured out a way to make room for a stand alone wood stove instead of an insert.

This ^^^^^

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
O
O
One of the biggest things I miss about my old home is the wood insert..

I had a Quadrafire insert that would run you out of the house...The key to any good wood burning fireplace/stove is placement...A centrally located masonry fireplace with an insert will perform with most any free standing wood stove for the fact the chimney is a lot of thermal mass...Efficiency goes out the door when the chimney is located on an exterior wall or even worse on the outside of the home...

Was just sitting in what my wife calls our sun room yesterday telling her it would be a good place for a soap stone stove..

H
H
The Canadians have a much more stringent safety policy and make a much more robust product.

RSF makes an outstanding fireplace and their thermostatic draft does a great job of pulling up to temp then cruising at a steady output rather than spiking and dropping off right away.

ICC chimney does a great job of holding heat and burning clean.

Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
Efficiency goes out the door when the chimney is located on an exterior wall or even worse on the outside of the home...

Yep, that would be mine!

Sure looks purty though grin

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Originally Posted By: outdoorlivin247
Efficiency goes out the door when the chimney is located on an exterior wall or even worse on the outside of the home...

Yep, that would be mine!

Sure looks purty though grin

Same here but produces virtually no heat.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/27/14 06:35 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Originally Posted By: jims place
Bad timing…our second polar express hit us last night and then on the local news this morning they announced the propane shortage is at emergency levels and prices are doubling. The fireplace will be getting a workout for the rest of winter. I feel sorry for the old folks that are on a tight budget.

I just called a local supplier and they're at $5.61 a gallon and won't lock it in. It'll be charged the current price on day of delivery. And as I stated earlier, it was $1.34 on 9-11-13.

I now have 3 infrared heaters in the house, and burning a ton of firewood in a very inefficient fireplace. Next year I WILL have a fireplace insert so I can actually get some heat out of the darn thing.

And even though I'm on a tight budget, there are many worse off than me that I wonder how they'll manage! This is awful!

When it comes time for you folks to replace your bulbs in your heaters don’t buy them from the dealer. They have a 3-500 % mark up, you can get them at just about any big box lumber store, the bulb wattage will be on the bulb itself.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
-14 this morning on the roof where my weather station is located. I'm thinking maybe colder near tbe ground?

Now that tbe wind has died down it time to tackle the driveway drifts for about the fifth time this winter! But I'm not going out there at -14!

How about you?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/28/14 09:15 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
-9 this morning with no snow on the ground.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I told the wife I wasn't going to tackle the driveway untul it got up to zero. As soon as I said that I reflected on how odd that sounded.

25 mph winds tomorrow with more snow on the way Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

You know it's cold when the ice fisherman on ice shanty.com say they are staying home!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Shorty

That's weird.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

That's weird.

The temp or the NO snow part?

So far this season we have had a couple of dustings of snow and just one 3" very dry powdery snow and that's it. It's been relatively cold and dry with very little snow in Nebraska, it has been a weird winter.

D
D
-27 today with the wind -37C second time the air station can not keep the pond open. IF the wind drops off I will drill a hole in the ice to see how much we have.

Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
P.S. looking for a pro streeted 1967-1969 cuda notch back not fast back. Back halfed roller would be great with title.

I'll put some feelers out. Used to build a number of cars in the mid to late '80's. Some full chassis cars, but mostly back halved. How big of a big block?

I used to run Green Diamond Tires, but had to buy this set of Blizzaks when the last set wore out and I couldn't get a set in time for a trip. The GD's work better than the Blizzaks, epecially on ice. http://www.greendiamondtire.com/ You're right about the tires wearing out fast during warm weather.

I have a two low decks ready for a build. Both are 400's one a thick wall 1972 block that could handle a massive stroker. One I am dropping into the 69 two door will be 472". If I could lay my hands on a hemi I would drop a hemi in the back halfed notch back. IF not a blown 451 with the thick block I have kicking around. Nothing more bad ass then a blown big block back half car on the street.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
-18ish here right before sunup. Sensor is in the middle of a large Blue Spruce about 5' off the ground on the North side of the house. It's warmed up to -12 now.

Don, still no word on a car. The only thing that would be better would be an Indy Maxx block with matching heads. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We have about a foot of snow on the ground at our farm and the ponds are frozen solid. Lots of single digit and negative temps over the past two weeks. Kids have only gone to school 6 days this month and have spent most days sledding down our hill at the house. Joined them while wearing shorts and a t-shirt for a single run one night when it was about 7 degrees. That was cold, but they all loved it, so I guess it was worthwhile!

We had -6 this morning when I got up and it's up to a reasonable 3 now in bright sunshine!

I love this, honestly. Winter is supposed to be cold and we haven't had a good, consistently cold winter for several years now. Here's hoping for more, though our 10 day forecast doesn't support that hope!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
J
J
Got a surprise snow last night. The weatherman called for a dusting but OKC and surrounding areas got up to a half inch. Just how this winter is going to go!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
It's 12:30 and 75, nice one today. Think I'll run across state and create some tan lines with Suzzie Cruzzie. Sorry if I miss my visit from Mr Cody but I'm sure Sue will look MUCH better on the beach than Mr Bill !!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey there Bob-O! Let's do it!! The weather couldn't be more perfect down here!! I'd love to blow off the rest of the day and head to the beach! I don't get all this talk about heaters and kerosene shortages and what not.....

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
[quote=Shorty]-9 this morning with no snow on the ground.

That's weird.

The temp or the NO snow part?

Yeah the lack of snow. You've been in a drought too though right?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/28/14 01:18 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
It's been abnormally dry here. The jet stream is behaving weird, it has dumped a lot of moisture on the eastern half of the US and left the western half very very dry.

Last edited by Shorty; 01/28/14 01:29 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Maybe this cold winter will keep some of the warm weather exotics in check in our southern states!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Here's a look at the weather picture for the country and the Midwest. Granted this comes from Tom Skilling's Weather blog of WGN Chicago, but it still pertains to our region and you have to love his graphics for making it simple to understand.

http://blog.chicagoweathercenter.com/

B
B
Esshup it only 19 right here in arkansas so its not much warmer

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Suzie Cute, don't tempt me, I was just joshin but would like to arrange a day for us to visit and I could explain wood burners, kerosene heaters, and propane demand and price gouging. Not to mention slurping several heavy rum and cokes. Gotta sign of now cause I'm about to pi many ol boys on here that will more than be likely envious of me spending several hrs of boozing, smoozin and entertaining you. Also when ever I read one of your posts I think of the ol song Suzie Q, Google it will give a Chuckle or rush.
If you can actually handle a day together, pm me, wouldn't want Bruce ta get agitated. God I love crackin on him!!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Maybe this cold winter will keep some of the warm weather exotics in check in our southern states!

That would be a plus!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Connor Kelley, Mama Rachael
Recent Posts
Faux trees & plants
by Boondoggle - 06/26/24 09:28 AM
Pokeweed for Wildlife?
by Theo Gallus - 06/26/24 08:08 AM
Strange 'phenomenon' in aquatic vegetation
by Theo Gallus - 06/26/24 08:07 AM
Unidentified broad leaf pondweed