Hi Thatdoggjack, I'm a novice here but it looks to me your pond is clay shy from the color I see. I am from east Tx and the clay is yellow to dark red. If it were me unless you do not mind pumping the water back out if there is a problem,just leave it. Most of the pro's here told me that my pond would be better off if I packed the bottom and sides. I drove over mine many times with my tractor and packed and packed. I did not have a sheepsfoot roller and took the chance,mine held and yours may as well. The packing may help some on turbidity too. I Think you said you want a beach/play area so that part would do very well by being packed.
The pond looks great though and the great pier will be a draw. In my mind the majority of structure would be best within casting distance of the pier. I would (and did) put spawn bed of other than YP on the west side if it gets the earliest sun and the most sun.
If you plan a bed(s) I would also say to keep the sand/gravel/ rock from sinking into the mud as fast,put down Weed control/erosion control /or plastic sheet. IMHO from what I have read and seen in pics etc. the #1 gravel/sand pack well drillers use, work real well for beds. Maybe your driller would sell you some as mine did to save some time and extra hauling.
I have a little structure in my pond (5 trees; 3 hardwood 2 ceder). As Esshup said read the articles here on structure. It appears to me from what I read that the white PVC type structure is not the most preferred. It seems from what I have read, fish like to be able to swim under a structure,through it and want a larger part of the water column(top to bottom),shade and access, shallow to deep, without having to leaving the structure.
I will build something this year in a gray or green tubing that is longer than tall and probably a few feet wide. I will let everyone here know how it works in the next year or two. Still reading and thinking about it as well.
Welcome and please take my novice thoughts with a grain of salt. Esshup and other pros here can give you facts instead of opinions like mine. They will and let us know how it goes because it looks like a great start.

Last edited by mpc; 09/21/13 08:50 AM. Reason: misspell

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.