Originally Posted By: ewest

Good post Eric! – sorry I missed it!
Oh Yeah – dated 19 November, 2009 – now I remember!
Week before Thanksgiving year 2009, after five years of intensive surgery, failed chemo, successful chemo, my bladder cancer was considered in remission!
Time for a big Thanksgiving and celebration!

Three weeks later, just before Christmas I was diagnosed with stage 2 life threatening rectal cancer, which I survived against odds that my docs later told me, I am pleased to be in recovery.
OK, may I be excused? smile

Eric and DIED have explained permeability and porosity of soils and rocks very well:
“Porosity is indirectly related to hydraulic conductivity; for two similar sandy aquifers, the one with a higher porosity will typically have a higher hydraulic conductivity (more open area for the flow of water), but there are many complications to this relationship. Clays, which typically have very low hydraulic conductivity also have very high porosities (due to the structured nature of clay minerals), which means clays can hold a large volume of water per volume of bulk material, but they do not release water very quickly.”

The current energy boom in the U.S. is the result of hydraulic fracturing of “tight” (impermeable) geologic oil and gas formations,

I guarantee permeable/porous aquafer sands can be sealed with “drilling mud” (bentonite) if enough is used and affordable – which I doubt with the current O&G demand.

Sorry to be late to the party. grin
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)