Quote:
Originally posted by Tuzz:
We are seeing the same issues with the filamentateous algae too. Now also seeing algae that almost looks like green pollen dust. It has been desert dry hear and blazing hot. The heat finally broke but there is still noe hope for rain that would cause anyh runoff. The ground around our pond is so dry that it looks like fault lines away from the water area. It is baked dry and splitting I think because of the clay content. Time to learn how to do a rain dance.

Does any one know how to beat the algae down? We tried barley hay but I saw no real effect. Have been manually removing it around 3 of teh four sides a little at a time. My Golden retriever loves to eat it as he swims in the pond and it seems not to be a problem for him. He is like a canine "grass carp"
I think manual removal is your only real option right now. However if it's not really bad I would be patient and wait for rain. Whenever we get rain here mine disapears as if it melted. Anyone know the mechanism for this? Cloud cover with less photosythesis, sunden drop in surface PH due to rain being more acidic? Sudden change in surface water chemistry due to the rain? Ideas?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.