There is another Crappie option if you do not want to run the risk of over population. You can same sex the Crappie where they will not reproduce. There was a article in Pond Boss Magazine about doing this in small ponds in the last year. It allows you to have Crappie to catch from time to time in small waters.

I have recently started a 3 ac Black Crappie pond and have not personally went thru all the ends and outs in practice. Here is something you may be interested in that I found in my research about fishing pressure locally. Below is from a previous post I made in April:
--------

Interesting side note on preparing for fishing for population control. A local 45 acre lake that sustained a nice size and crappie population for years averaged from 66 to 88 angler visits per acre per year with a 9" min size limit. The former manager of the 45 ac lake estimated a annual crappie harvest of near 100 crappie per surface acre. Another lake I done research on avg 92 angler visits per acre per year over 10 years(100 ac lake) and is one of the better crappie lakes in Alabama. Still waiting to here from the state if they can provide me any catch numbers on that lake for those 10 years.