Wow thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Sunil - I'm afraid I will be that representative, just have to work on the diplomatic part! I started a list of questions / requests.

catmandoo - I will contact Herman Brothers, Peoria is just over an hour away, hopefully they can provide some good info.

Yellow Jacket - My normal operandi is to totally ignore, but I'm afraid in this case my beautiful pond will be turned into a swamp and my property value will drop $15-20K

Cecil - Spot on, I added questions around the "who", my city / county clearly has a good ole boys network

They interestingly are asking for a 10 year tax increase of $165,000 or $16,500 per year ($150 x 110 residents) for their $55,000 marsh like option. The dredge option has a cost of $110,000 and a tax increase of $275,000.

Our subdivision has had a storm sewer problem, but in my opinion not caused by the retention ponds failing, rather our subdivision is surrounded by corn fields that runs off an amazing amount of (debris filled) water into our system. The failure was in storm water reaching the ponds not leaving them.

Thanks so much ... Any other thoughts are appreciated!