Ag or residential zoning should have no impact on HO rates. We use Zones and Subzones which are dictated by zipcode. There also may be a difference in whether you have a Homeowners policy or a Farm/Ranch policy and which of those policies had an increase if not both. It's likely all HO or FR policies in the state had an increase and it's my guess that's what you'll be told.

Insurance companies used to have to file with the state's Dept of Ins. to request and justify a rate increase. But companies are now "scoring", using models with hundreds of rating factors. So all they have to do now is "change" their model which in-of-itself creates an increase they don't have to file for or justify. Just one of the many changes in the past 25 years I've been doing this that I don't agree with, nor does it seem fair to policyholders. I understand profits are down due to poor investment returns but the door has now been opened. And the "predictive model" is so secretive (trade secret?!?!) that there's no one within the company that can explain to even the Agent why the premium increased. Very frustrating!! If you want to stump your Agent a little bit, ask if they use scoring and what exactly you can do to improve or better your score.

Back to the small fish in a big pond crazy

Afterthought:
Scott, if you generate ANY farm income, I would think you could/should have a FR policy, or at least an endorsement to cover an incidental business (if appropriate). Do a thorough review and make sure all your bases are covered, not only all of your equipment but especially your liability exposures! Most HO policies specifically EXCLUDE losses due to any business related activities.

Just a thought (and rambling again) wink

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES