Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
There are Tilapia, Goldfish, and a few FHM left, not sure if any crawfish are left or not.

I would like to try the drum with netting but even as simple as it looks to make not sure I am handy enough to do it. Trying to get the pump in the right place would be the fun part.Right now it is directly in my tank.

If I can do it anyone can! All you have to do is set the pump on top of the filter material in the drum and send that water to your biofilter. Then have you biofilter drop water back into the tank via gravity. You just need to build the siphon and put a drain in the bottom of the drum with a valve to drain the drum after you clean the netting and drain the remaining waste. It's really quite simple.

I am fighting green water this year much more than last year for sure. Not sure that is that big of a problem for the fish, but sure does not look pretty.

What's the problem with green water, at least as far as your fish? Green water creates oxygen and breaks down nitrites and nitrates. VanGorder's system in his book has green water. As long as you have some aeration at night you should be fine.

Now if you're concerned with it competing for nitrates with your plants you might check out getting a UV clarifier.

Funny thing. I have a system outside with tilapia now and have no green water or FA to speak of. I have the system minus the raft tank under a deck and a tarp to keep any water that percolates through the deck from ending up in the system, but that's it. I was sure I would have green water but don't.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/16/13 11:03 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.