Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Shorty says five minutes.

I was asking you.

Sorry with all thise quotes and subquotes it looked to me like you were asking Shorty. blush

It takes me about 20 minutes as I have to wait for the clarifier drum to drain via a one inch I.D. hose, spray off the filter material, refill, and then put back the filter material. I could do it a lot faster if I skipped the filter material and just opened a valve, and drained off the dirty water, but typically there are a lot of solids trapped in the filter material -- if I have a heavy load of fish or tilapia -- that produce a lot of feces.

It depends on my fish load how often i do this and the species. With tilapia I could get by with once a week, wirh heavy loads of perch and bluegill I've done one 10 percent change per day to play it safe, but have gone three days with no issues.

BTW I will have two systems in the basement this fall and three systems at local high schools to raise and feed my gills and perch over the winter of which i get back in the spring for planting in the trophy pond. I've come up somewith more ways to simplify the system and make it easy to duplicate fairly reasonably. Maybe I can get one of the drafting classes to draw up an exploded view of tbe system for other high schools to duplicate.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/07/13 12:28 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.