Originally Posted By: esshup
For as fast as the fish grow, and the amount of fish you'll be feeding, I would go the coffee grinder route. The food will go bad before you use it all unless you have a LOT of little ones to feed.

I haven't tried it, but I suspect that coffee grounds made in the same grinder might taste a little funny....... wink

Two things about feeding small fish ground feed from the larger pellets 5D05 or 5D06:

1.) Small fish actually need more protein than the larger adult fish which is why the first three sizes are 50 percent protein vs. about 41 for the larger sizes.

2.) From my experience it's a royal pain in the *** to grind feed in any measurable amount with a coffee grinder. I burnt up a coffee grinder that way.

3.) My time is too valuable to sit there grinding feed over and over again in a grinder. I just buy the small feed, but you do have a good point Scot if a bag of the small feed is much more than you need. However I did have a rep at one of the Pond Boss conventions tell me it's good for a year as it has a vitamin C stabilizer. I've actually frozen it in zip lock bags too.

BTW next year I will be fertilizing my fry ponds with the fry powder. Incredible organic fertilizer!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/02/13 09:50 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.