Originally Posted By: esshup
I left the house at 6:30 a.m. and returned at 9:00 p.m. Rain gauge said 1" for today, and it started to rain after I walked in the door. I'm going to grab a flashlight and go look at the pond.

Who said we pondmeisters aren't crazy?

Pond is now at 48.5", approximately 14" below full pool.

I resemble that crazy remark, but have a serious pond problem!

Based on my Dad's basement flooding, the water table seems to be to it's normal self, or even better!

My theory on where the GW went due to the excavation is probably totally incorrect!!! If it were true, then my Dad's basement would be dry. Most likely it was caused by the drought every one else experienced.

My Dad's house was built in 2001, and every year except the past two, the sump pumps have been running continuously.

The very first test hole I dug went about 4' down and it filled up to about 18" below ground surface. Luna and Coco use to swim in it, then things started to dry up. Went deeper and still dry. Got bummed and was looking for a culprit. Everyone said, never put a full basement in the area unless you want to keep pumping it. Before the excavator who dug my Dad's basement died, he said he did go too deep with it for the area.

I'll have to re-investigate the front pond due to erroneous thinking on my part as to where the GW went. The excavation into the natural drain area (USGS info) sure did coincide with the GW drying up.

Sump pumps are stupid animals. I'll have to investigate what is really going on in my Dad's basement. I doubt he needs a second sump pit tho.