AAA - welcome to Pond Boss.

I'm sure a few others, more expert than me, will give some better advice.

I've been stocking/restocking my own ponds and friend's ponds for a number of years. I don't have an answer to your dilemma, but have witnessed it several times.

As for spitting out the food, I've seen that, but I don't remember what kind it was. I now mostly stick with Southern States Lil Strike, which the fish seem to like. I'm not sure where you are, but if you are looking at going to Zetts, you will probably pass by Clearbrook Feeds, in Clearbrook. -- sandwiched between I-81 and Route 11 near the WV/VA line. They usually have the Purina Aquamax products, which the fish also like.

I put in a new pond a little over a year ago that I stocked with fathead minnows (FHM), channel cats (CC) and hybrid bluegill (HBG). I've never seen those cats come up for food, but the HBG are voracious. Last week I added more HBG and twenty-five 4-7 inch CC. the newest CC are very heavy feeders.

As for Zetts, they have good pricing and healthy fish. They package the fish very well for shipment. You should call ahead because they sometimes are low on certain stock and sizes. By the time you get there, the fish will be bagged in oxygenated bags that are in sturdy cardboard boxes. But, examine the fish very carefully before putting them in the pond. I'm not the only one who suspects we've gotten something else mixed in with the desired fish. Southeast Pond Stockers does makes a number trips each season to the Tractor Supply stores in VA. The Fishwagon has a regular circuit through many of Virginia's Southern States stores.

Good Luck,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!