Hey guys, I'm new here and I really don't have time to find my way around in all the threads. I would appreciate if some of the pros could give me some quick advice.

I inherited an old pond that's about 1/4 acre and probably averages 4-5 feet deep. It has a few big trees around it and a lot of cedars and briars. I know there's a lot of muck on the bottom. I've been working to clear the brush and have a good amount of it done.

The pond has always had a duckweed problem and my grandpa just threw some copper sulfate in it every year. I treated it with 1.5 lbs this spring and two more times with a half pound each just spraying next to the bank. Since then I've read how bad it is and I don't want to kill my game fish or my carp. I've been skimming all I can get with a net from the bank, but I can't hardly keep up and its a lot of work!

I'd like to know if the skimming is even worth doing because it will reduce seeds and nutrients? I can't afford to have it drained, put on in aerator, or the chemicals like sonar or diquat. Is 2,4-D safe if you want to eat the fish? All wisdom is appreciated! Thank you