Originally Posted By: sprkplug
The only drawback I see to a dedicated, stand-alone storm shelter is the fact that you need to go outside to get into it.....Two nights ago we had some tremendous straight line winds come through, a lot of folks lost roofs, barns and trees but thankfully no serious injuries. But, this happened at 2:30 in the morning, when the first warning most had, (myself included) was awakening to a tremendous roar. By the time we could get shoes on the family and out to a shelter, it might be too late.....a lot quicker to run downstairs to the basement. I do acknowledge the possibility of the house collapsing, but I wonder how many times that has actually killed someone, especially when compared to the many lives saved by those who took shelter in the basement?

I believe homes are supposed to withstand 110 mph winds. Probably higher in Tornado Alley. You're better served staying in the center part of your house and away from windows during a high wind event. My house is built with 2x6 on 16 inch centers, doubled studded at all four corners, and the roof trusses are hurricane strapped to the walls. The walls are J-bolted into the concrete. This house ain't going anywhere unless I take a direct hit from an EF-4 or EF-5. A direct hit from an EF-4 or 5 will not only take your house, it will take anything that's in your basement, including you!

Warning: My Dog Has A Gun And Refuses To Take His Meds!