Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have to ask this and please don't take it the wrong way. For those of you that are putting a few hundred dollars worth of feed a month into your ponds is it really necessary? How many pounds of fish do you need in your ponds? Do you really need to to feed and catch a few thousand pounds of fish every month, and do you even have time to do it even with the help of family and friends?

I just moved temporarily to a holding pond about 350 trophy size yellow perch, over 100 trophy size bluegills, and have had up to a 100 or so adult feed trained smallmouth in my .62 acre pond, and I feed at the most two bags off feed a month. I wouldn't even have this many fish in the pond if it wasn't for the fact that I sell them. I also only feed once per day vs. the recommended twice per day and my fish are still too fat!

Pumping in large amount of feed has its downsides too, as in increase filamentous algae and macrophypte production.

Just saying and I hope I'm not going to make someone mad, but we sometimes have a tendency to do things in excess an I'm definitely guilty of that. Fortunately budget constraints have caused me to take hard look at where I'm doing things in excess and I'm cutting back.

I too go through about 2 bags in about a month in a half actually. So I am spending a little over 300 bucks over the whole feeding season
which stops for me about mid October or so. Course if you have a larger pond with multi feeders in place I could see where it could add up quick!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!