Originally Posted By: missouridave
What is a belt feeder Cecil? I have no electric at my dock. Could I just feed by hand? What is the purpose of the light?

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/2253/Belt-Feeders?green=5EDA0193-FA49-5EE4-011D-20B6671FBDCD

For fry you need to feed 24/7 of which a belt feeder is suited for. Perch fry like some other species are phototactic in that they are attracted to light. If the feeder is placed just above the light shines in the water they will eventually start feeding on the light and get trained to find easy feed that way.

And like Bill Cody says it would be cheaper to just purchase feed trained yellow perch than to do it as a recreational pond person.

You'd have to purchase 50 pound bags of starter feed and progressively larger in pellet size as they become larger and for you a recreatoinal ponder probably wouldn't use an entire 50 lb. bag before going up to the next pellet size. Another reason it wouldn't be cost effective for a recreational pond person.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/31/13 03:19 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.