Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KDW, kmilam, Soundguy, RyanH, Nath Morris
18,544 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,028
Posts558,658
Members18,545
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,607
ewest 21,518
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,165
Who's Online Now
7 members (phinfan, homewardbound, Boondoggle, GhostRiver, Sunil, catscratch, azteca), 1,047 guests, and 360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski

Brettski, I think we need have a dedicated pond "bird watching" thread. smile

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Man I miss your banter with TG. Clever funny stuff...those were the good old days.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
We had a pileated woodpecker family a few years ago and although the birds are beautiful, I found their call to be an irritant. Continuous hours of that squaking was anything but pleasant. I'm happy that they moved on.
The wood ducks are now selecting their favorite nesting boxes.
We had six grebes that spent the winter as well as about thirty scaup. The grebe count remained at six throughout the winter but the scaup numbers varied with up to sixty or so present at times.
The six hundred plus gadwall that flew in for two weeks last year didn't show up this winter. Disappointing.
I certainly hope the black-bellied whistling ducks show up soon.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Aw man, Dudley!

I love having pileated woodpeckers around even with their hyena-esque call.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
The six hundred plus gadwall that flew in for two weeks last year didn't show up this winter. Disappointing.

Think of all the duck poop in your pond that didn't happen, talk about adding to your pond's nutrient load.

grin

K
K
T.J.,we just saw a flock of about 30 cedar waxwings in northern Va. but all the trees were cleared from this sub-division so they will move on. They are as pretty as any bird.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Sunil, eight hours of steady squawking will brew thoughts of a good use for that AK you're holding.

Shorty, if I don't get it via nature, I have to buy it by the bag to try to get an early bloom in order to avoid sunlight penetration. At eight feet, I'm much too shallow down here.

kenc #327744 03/27/13 10:17 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: kenc
T.J.,we just saw a flock of about 30 cedar waxwings in northern Va. but all the trees were cleared from this sub-division so they will move on. They are as pretty as any bird.

I love the Tanagers and Buntings but have never seen one, still the Waxwing is at the top of my list. You're really lucky Ken...if you get a chance to take a photo someday, I sure would appreciate it. Were they targeting your Hathornes?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

K
K
T.J., this was at my son's house in Northern Va.,the subdivision has 8000 houses that are stuck together pretty close. The developers bulldoze everything and plant a few trees and shrubs after the house is built. They were feeding on a holly shrub about 4 ft. tall. They would have been lucky to get a couple of berries each. We do have a lot of haws around the oxbow ponds but the wood ducks stay around till the acorns and haw berries are gone. The waxwings feed big time on the Amer.Holly. They eat a third of the tree till it is finished but I can't remember ifthey start at the bottom or top. They also love red mulberry and I saw them twice last year on one in May or June. At every home we have lived in Va., we have had Scarlet Tanagers. You can hear them singing all the time but you will only see them a couple of times a year as they like dense woods. We have a ton of Indigo Bunting at the farms in Aylett.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I love the Tanagers and Buntings but have never seen one, still the Waxwing is at the top of my list. You're really lucky Ken...if you get a chance to take a photo someday, I sure would appreciate it. Were they targeting your Hathornes?

I have seen scarlet tanagers and an indigo bunting only once here in Nebraska. I have seen cedar wax wings on several occasions but not often.

Shorty #327789 03/28/13 08:42 AM
L
L
We have indigos nesting along the driveway in dense brush most years, but I have only seen one tannager and it moved on. Starkly red birds which make cardinals look pale by comparison.

Two of my favorites are Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, and Baltimore Orioles. Next favorite is the Wood Thrush. Nothing more beautiful than hearing them sing on a quiet day deep in the woods in the middle of nowhere.

BTW If you have an Android device, look up the Sibley Bird Guide application, which is based on the Sibley bird book. The application is amazing and worth every penny as it has several bird songs per bird, great lookup and logging features, etc. I find myself playing the bird songs as I watch it still snowing outside. I have been in a constant funk waiting for spring to kick in :-(.

-Mark

Lunker
Lunker
Rose Breasted Grosbeaks are another one we don't see often here but we do see Baltimore Orioles and Wood Thrush on a regular basis.

Here is an interesting fact about Northern Flickers and Bufflehead ducks.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/bufflehead/lifehistory

Quote:
Bufflehead breed near ponds and lakes in boreal forest and aspen parkland of Canada and Alaska, with isolated populations in the western United States. The Bufflehead’s breeding range is limited by the distribution of Northern Flickers, which are their main source of nesting cavities. Bufflehead are North America’s smallest diving duck; they benefit by using old flicker nests that larger ducks such as goldeneyes and mergansers cannot fit into.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
We have indigos nesting along the driveway in dense brush most years, but I have only seen one tannager and it moved on. Starkly red birds which make cardinals look pale by comparison.

Two of my favorites are Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, and Baltimore Orioles. Next favorite is the Wood Thrush. Nothing more beautiful than hearing them sing on a quiet day deep in the woods in the middle of nowhere.

BTW If you have an Android device, look up the Sibley Bird Guide application, which is based on the Sibley bird book. The application is amazing and worth every penny as it has several bird songs per bird, great lookup and logging features, etc. I find myself playing the bird songs as I watch it still snowing outside. I have been in a constant funk waiting for spring to kick in :-(.

-Mark

Squid, you're a weirdo. Join the club. wink cool

Due to climate changes [I assume] Lincoln has been rezoned for plantings from 4 to 5, Southern NE now has Armadillos, and Lincoln has Carolina Wrens year long. Many of you might be accustomed to them, but for me it's a thrill to hear such a foreign but beautiful call in the middle of Winter. You can hear them from blocks away on a still day. I also really enjoy another occasional Spring visitor during migration - the White Throated Sparrow. Again, this bird is pretty common in some areas, but for me it's a treat the 3-4 weeks I can hear them.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Due to our climate changes we only see these fellas around our ponds for 6 months out of the year.

Hello bird migration and... Good bye winter!

mnfish #327819 03/28/13 10:13 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ, I'll see Bluebirds here all winter. I thought they all migrated further South.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
I'm hearing them at the ponds, but haven't seen them staking out their houses, yet. Imagine the first grass is already gathering to form their nests, however. I'll check this weekend...

Wintering Bluebirds that far North is a new one to me - must be cool to see against the snow.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Water hyacinth woes: Dredging?
by RossC - 05/23/24 07:57 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Dave Davidson1 - 05/23/24 05:21 PM
Water Test Report - Adjusting PH?
by Boondoggle - 05/23/24 04:15 PM
What might be attacking our fish?
by lmoore - 05/23/24 12:11 PM
First catch from new pond
by SCFarms - 05/23/24 11:24 AM
New Pond Owner Westchester County, NY