Originally Posted By: jdfarmer
I just got back from talking to my fish guy(he only lives 2 miles from me)and he is concerned about using GSH because they are predatory too. He suggested stocking FHM when I thought I needed them.

What are your goals for that pond 6-8 years from now? Large BG with LMB mostly 18" or less, LMB of "X" (you fill in the blank) size with Bluegills as a secondary fish, etc. etc.

Once predators are established in the pond (that means BG and LMB), stocking FHM will only be a short term snack for the fish. FHM move too slow to be good at escaping predators. Typically, they are completely gone a year to two years after predators are stocked. If you want to give the fish that are under 8" a snack, then by all means stock FHM! They can be used as a tool to help certain year class/size fish grow if smaller forage fish aren't available. But, if you expect larger fish than that to grow on them, they won't. They have to expend too many calories for each fish that they catch.

Think of this. Would you put on more weight if you had to chase a large steak a quarter mile, or every piece of popcorn that you ate?

If you can for me, ask your fish guy what fish he's worried that the GSH will eat, what size those fish (the prey) would be, and how long they'll be that size. Let us know what he says.

GSH are supposed to eat fish eggs too. But, if that's LMB eggs, then they'll help keep the YOY LMB numbers down.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).