For my ATV, the shoes either fall off, or grind off after a few plows, I have given up on them and rely on height adjustments.

The key is a good crown on a wet day in the fall (I borrow a york rake for the tractor), and then compacting the works down by driving on it a lot. You want to get any loose gravel mixed into the mush. Also don't use filtered gravel, but mixed gravel so it can compact like concrete when dry.

Then when you know the ground ISN'T frozen, you must keep the plow raised or you will toss too much gravel. If it IS frozen, drop the plow and ask bystanders to back off and let it rip full-speed!

Right now we have had several days of wet, sloppy snow. I have had to plow this nonsense twice now with (the flu). The stuff is so sticky that even raising the plow an inch or two results in tootsie rolls of snow which is picking up the loose gravel and rolling it to the side. VERY annoying as I will have to rake this crap in the spring out of the lawn. I am trying to be careful and not let the rolls exit the edge of the driveway, by my neighbor came over and "helped" and dug the ever-living snot out of my turn-around and pushed all of the rolls into the ditch. Gravel and all. Arg!