JD,

I believe your approach is good with your method of aeration for your lower density.

As far as growth from stock to harvest I was dumbfounded by the gain in weight last year. My brooks went from 10 inches to an average of 17 inches in 11 months and close to 3 lbs with one just under 4 pounds and 19 1/4 inches(see final weight of brook trout on web site under "brook trout"). The brooks were yearling when I got them and that means all the brooks I harvested including the biggest one were just under 2 years old at harvest.

My browns and rainbows were planted with a variation of a half a pound up to about 2 1/2 pounds, and upon harvest most of the browns went from around 4 lbs to close to 8 lbs (see website listing of brown trout for final weights). I had lots of browns in the 6 lbs plus range.

I had four rainbows that were over 8 lbs with lots from the 4 to over 6's. I did have two or three rainbows that didn't seem to grow at all or there were some very small ones mixed in when I planted that I didn't see. (See final lengths and weights on websites under "Rainbows."

Feeding them twice a day can really make them grow but there are downsides. My water is really fertile and this year the aquatic weeds are going bonkers. I will draw the pond down this winter to see if I can kill the weeds. I believe one of the reasons my trout grow so fast is the water gets a little warm in summer but not too warm. It's right up there in their peak metabolism temp range for them. I do overfeed too which is not good, but since my trout vary so much in size it is hard to determine how much to feed. As far as feeding to satiation that does not seem to apply with my trout. They never slow down and I know I am feeding them enough as they are all quite stocky.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.