Originally Posted By: rmedgar
As I was harvesting some last year, I tossed about 50-100 in the area around my BP unit. Do you think these might over-winter and harvest?

I think some will. The survival rate in nature for a BSF egg is very low. In a stable population I think around 1 in 300-400 would survive to reproduce. It's not easy being so tasty and nutritious. smile Survival rates for mature larvae (prepupae) would be much higher as a rule since those individuals have made it past the stages where they're easily discovered and eaten by predators.

I wouldn't worry too much about the fate of the larvae you released. I'm sure there are many others from the local population waiting to emerge this spring.

Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Also, I have my unit in a shaded area, is this good?

Shade vs. sun isn't the real issue, it's all about the temperature of the colony. I've recommended that folks in the north keep their units in the sun unless they run into overheating, especially in the NW because anything in the 80°F/27°C range is considered a heat wave!

To get the colony going in the spring I would try putting it in at least partial sun to get them moving sooner on cool mornings. Warming the unit will also increase the scent that will attract more female BSF for egg laying. I think it might be ideal if you could find a spot that got some sun in the spring and fall but was fully shaded in the summer.