Originally Posted By: small pond
will there be more amonia and nitrates as the water warms up i would think soo because the fish are eating more and what are some sighns that the amonia is geting to high. I bought some more fish today but i have about 20 more fish bg, yp that were in there all summer i can always take them out how much would that help thanks.

If you see signs of ammonia or nitrite toxicity (gasping at the surface and lethargy) it's already too late unless you have a way to add a significant amount of fresh water. The only thing you can do is stop feeding and hope for the best.

I would get the test kit I suggested to determine ammonia and nitrite levels. It's cheap compared to the headaches it may prevent you.

Yes ammonia levels will rise with rising temps if the pond is overloaded, but one thing you have going for you is your low PH. Also be aware that a natural process known as nitrification will crank up when your water warms and algae is actually a good thing as it feeds on ammonia. Believe it or not duckweed is really good at working on ammonia and some aquaponic producers purposely plant it into their systems.

It's actually unionized ammonia that is toxic to fish and it's amount is determined by temperature and PH. If you can accurately measure the PH and water temperature you can look up the amount of unionized ammonia on a chart by plugging in the value you get with your ammonia test. For trout you want to stay below 0.020 ppm.

You shouldn't even be reading any nitrites optimally. You can counteract it's effects by adding a little salt to the pond. You won't need much. If you use salt don't just throw it into the pond as it can burn the fish upon contact. You want to mix it in a container of waer and then slowly release it into the water.

Salt is know as the aspirin of aquaculture and reduces stress in freshwater fish up to a point.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/08/13 05:20 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.