Bill thanks for your thoughts. My goals for the pond are 8 or 10 pound bass. You can find my post in the "improving fish populations" i think i titled it "trying to make my pond great". perhaps it has been 5 years ago now but we caught 3 or 4 LMBs that summer that were 6 pounds or a little more. I caught and harvested an 8 pound CC 2 years ago. My dad will feed the CC with floating food occasionally but not regularly. I feel like if a catfish can get that large then a bass could get that large as well. In march i am adding several different types of Plastic things that will hopefully help. using milkcrates, melted down bottles, buckets, miniblinds, etc. i am going to try to add things for the fish fry and then larger structures for the bass as well. I'm getting lots of good ideas here. i apppreciate your input and ideas. maybe on the pipes to keeep catfish from going in I will just add some 1/2 inch pvc pipes to make almost like a jail cell. The catfish in the pond all seem to be 5 pounds are bigger, there aren't any small ones, or i've never seen them anyway. This would support your idea of no survival from spawning catfish. We are also going to try to use a seine net this summer to get some of the small bass out. Between my friend and i we can push taking out 200 pounds of bass in one weekend by rod and reel.

Last edited by andrewstidham; 02/07/13 12:15 PM.