Hi Jeffhasapond and al.

A lot of people call for solar aeration, when the see the price and efficiency, they often look for another alternative.

Solar direct is about the only way to go. We have chosen and limited ourselves to three models and they are roughly 2500$, 3500$ and 4500$. Forget a battery bank for aeration as it shoots the price through the roof. Solar direct means that when the suns hits the panels, the pump starts aerating the pond. If warming water is not an issue, like for a trout pond, then it may be enough aeration as the movement and circulation allows for a buffer of oxygen to be present overnight. Add another 1500$ and you get a tracker that will make your solar panels follow the sun at the right angle resulting in about 45% more energy. Going solar is more of a statement and environmental commitment than a business decision...

We once calculated how much it would cost to run 24/7 a Vertex Air1 with solar, and came up with a 38,000$ cost...

Our largest solar direct will aerate as much as a single diaphragm 20' Koenders windmill which cost about 1500$.
A dual diaphragm is ideal as for the same amount of work + a few hundred dollars more you get twice the aeration. Windmill can be located 1000' away from pond if plumbing is adapted.

Consider height as important for a windmill. Each foot increase can mean 5% more wind.
Right now Koenders sells a 25 foot unipole dual diaphragm windmill for a very good price.

I have set a few up and they look good, have a three year warranty.

When I get back to the office, I'll try to post you some pics I took last week, at one of my clients who bought 5 of them for complex of 3 ponds.

Mario Paris,
Fish & Wildlife Management Technician, CEO of Canadianponds.ca Products