TJ, what are the parameters that define a 'natural' effort vs. an artificially induced environment? What's allowable one way or the other?

If you mean totally natural, as in no feeding, period, then I agree...that would surely be the pinnacle of pond management. IF...it could even be done. I wonder if there is a certain size BOW that would lend itself more readily to this type of effort? I think it would be tough in a small pond, but I also think a large impoundment would present its own set of challenges. Perhaps there is a 'sweet spot' somewhere in the middle, where the size would lend itself to this type of management strategy.

Then again, what species are present? Perhaps the ideal combination of fish would make this task easier, but many times our choices are limited due to availability, geography, and our goals for the fishery. What good would a perfect combination of species be, in an all natural environment where the pondowner made compromises in order to make the system work.....perhaps going as far as doing without a species or two that they really wanted. I can't imagine having a pond without BG, as I prefer them over all other fish...but, management of these fish requires that a top line predator be present, and my choices are limited in that regard. So, to have BG, I have to choose....allow LMB, or switch to a different fish, one that's less likely to overrun the pond. Compromises.

What do you think?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.