Sandy Soil; sandy loam, basically the same everywhere I guess, regardless of state. I have enjoyed reading many of your posts and for the first time in my life...I'm getting involved in a forum. I am the owner of a beautiful pond, about 3/4 of an acre, full of very healthy bass, channel cat, crappie and perch. Cost? If I had not been fortunate enough to have something someone else wanted, it would have cost me $125,000.00..........and at that cost, I wouldn't have a pond. A highway construction crew wanted some of my dirt, and I wanted a fishing pond...we bartered and both of us are happy. Only problem I have is, it won't hold water. An old friend (90) retired from digging ponds about 5 years ago and he had me do a little test prior to allowing my pond to be dug. I make a little marble sized mud ball, lowered it into a glass of water, allowed it to sit overnight and got my results. If the mudball had remained round over night in the glass of water I would have been in good shape. My mudball was flat the next morning, but I had the chance to get a free pond and I went for the gusto. If it were not for the fact that one side of my property is lined with a live creek, and I can pump water from the creek to the pond, I would have nothing more than a mud hole. I have tried bentonite, 100 bags of oak leaves and grass clippings, but no noticeable difference in the loss of water. I made contact with a local man that has a machine that blows bentonite from a large machine and broadcasts bentonite over the entire pond from one location. He does not guarantee the results but charges $5000.00 for treating a one acre pond. After reading all the postings here.....bentonite may not be my best bet, but may be better than draining the pond, and starting over with dump trucks loaded with clay. Maybe I should give the Texas Lottery a little more time. In the meantime, I will watch your postings, learn what I can and wish all of you the best of luck.