Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PondGuppy, BarbaraE, Cloudfeather, Chadsnider, Kevin Matney
18,573 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,078
Posts559,295
Members18,574
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,686
ewest 21,541
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,174
Who's Online Now
8 members (Shotgun01, anthropic, Bigtrh24, Sunil, Tinylake, FishinRod, Catch N 8 NTex, Boondoggle), 685 guests, and 402 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Tums, that's the problem. I don't have it under ground. My well produces a whopping 1/10 gpm. It runs into a 2,5000 gallon holding tank so I never run out of water for the house.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Tums do you mean that the vegetation will draw the water on the soil when it rains or the vegetation will draw the water that's in the pond all the time? I mean are you worrying about that the vegetation will block watershed or the vegetation will steal the pond water directly? I hope i am clear. smile

Do you also mean trees by "vegetation"? Because i want trees everywhere.

Last edited by Fatih; 12/20/12 08:00 AM.
T
T
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Tums, that's the problem. I don't have it under ground. My well produces a whopping 1/10 gpm. It runs into a 2,5000 gallon holding tank so I never run out of water for the house.

I see, I wondered if that was your problem.

T
T
Originally Posted By: Fatih
Tums do you mean that the vegetation will draw the water on the soil when it rains or the vegetation will draw the water that's in the pond all the time? I mean are you worrying about that the vegetation will block watershed or the vegetation will steal the pond water directly? I hope i am clear. smile

Vegatation (including trees) pull moisture from the ground. If the pond is not 100% leak proof moisture will transfer from the water in the pond into the ground. Any vegetation at the waters edge will draw almost directly from the pond. Also the vegetation will prevent watershed from ever reaching the pond. In the end all vegetation around the pond means is you will need more water supply for both the pond and the vegetation.

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted By: Tums

Vegatation (including trees) pull moisture from the ground. If the pond is not 100% leak proof moisture will transfer from the water in the pond into the ground. Any vegetation at the waters edge will draw almost directly from the pond. Also the vegetation will prevent watershed from ever reaching the pond. In the end all vegetation around the pond means is you will need more water supply for both the pond and the vegetation.

Tums, that's a horrible news frown . I guess i need to use liner to make my pond water proof. Do you people use liner for that big of a pond or just clay? I think clay won't be enough to keep water from plants. I guess i should choose some trees that can live in droughty places.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Most people here in the USA use clay for lining ponds. Yes, it will seep a little, but here usually the precipitation will make up for the seepage.

With a liner, you have to remove all the rocks and pointy things that are under it, and put down a padding so it won't get poked. How will you ensure that it won't have a hole in it? If you want to put a dock/pier on the pond, it will have to be a floating one. You'll also probably need to install a drain in the lowest part of the pond if you plan to remove any muck/sludge that enters the pond. (leaves,cust, fish food, etc all decompose on the bottom).

Don't forget that if the pond is 100% water tight, and you have a high evaporation rate, over the years the water will be the only thing evaporating, and without periodic flushing, all the dissolved minerals and salts in the water will be left behind.

Do a Google search about the Salton Sea. Granted that's an extreme case, but that's what I'm talking about.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Esshup, i know i need to use clay but i was thinking to use a liner , just to have a better isolation but it seems like it's not worth that.

I know what you saying about evaporation thing( I have aquariums ) . I am sure i need to drain some water periodically. The way i am planning to do this is , when i need water for my plants around my house and pond, i will get the water from the pond instead of well.

I wonder how terribly , the plants around my pond will drain the water in the pond? I mean if they will drain as much as they need to live, that's fine. Because i will need to water my plants anyway. But if they drain more than they need, that's gonna be a problem.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you don't have plants that suck up a lot of water (those plants like to live in moist to wet conditions, i.e. have their "feet" wet), then I wouldn't worry about the plants using too much water from the pond.

For instance, the figure around here is that a grass lawn needs 1" of water per week, but it can get by with less.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I get it esshup. Thank you smile .

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
If i have 1 square meter pool. And there is 1000 kg of water in it which means 1 meter depth of water. Let's say we leave this pool in my city for 1 year.

There will be 600 mm precipitation and 1200 mm evaporation. Which means i will have 600 mm loss which is 60 cm which is 0,6 meters. So at the end of the year, my pool will have only 40 cm of water , which is 400 kg. So, every year , for every square meter i will need to add 400 kg(or liter) of water.

Is that calculation right?

No It's wrong you'll have to add 600 liter to be back at the original 1000liter

You gain 600 litre thru anual precipitation :

http://web.ead.anl.gov/resrad/datacoll/water.htm cut/paste quote: PRECIPITATION RATE

9.1 DEFINITION

The precipitation rate, Pr, is the average volume of water in the form of rain, snow, hail, or sleet that falls per unit of area and per unit of time at the site. It is measured in units of volume per area per time

Quote end.

And you loose 1200 litre thru anual evaporation : http://www.waterandclimatechange.eu/evaporation
cut/paste Quote:
Evaporation is an important process in the global water cycle. Solar radiation hits the surface of water or land and causes water to change state from a liquid to a gas.

Quote end

Remember you are on a US forum so when you do the mats don't mix mm kg and litre m3 in a equation and ask iff it's right is my 2c or 2 øre (or 0,02 LIRA)

cheers

Last edited by andedammen; 01/05/13 12:45 PM.

PAUL
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey Ande, where have you been?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Hi DD1
I'w been lurking now and then, picked up the old laptop to log on(embeded password) today.
Still strugling a bit to adjust passion, in acordance with my capabillities,werry reduced do to lymes, so I'w turned towards aquaponics wich is at a more macro level.
I'm on the right track but still expect years to recover (if ever?)

cheers

PAUL
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Paul, I've known several people with Lymes and other afflictions of that type. It does take time.

However, it is always a pleasure to hear from you.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Paul, I've known several people with Lymes and other afflictions of that type. It does take time.

However, it is always a pleasure to hear from you.

+1

Glad you're seeing some improvement. Best of luck for continued forward progress!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Just saw a map on the WGN weather blog that showed a large part of the country is still technically under drought conditions whether it be rain or snow. Sure hope we snap out of this!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted By: andedammen
If i have 1 square meter pool. And there is 1000 kg of water in it which means 1 meter depth of water. Let's say we leave this pool in my city for 1 year.

There will be 600 mm precipitation and 1200 mm evaporation. Which means i will have 600 mm loss which is 60 cm which is 0,6 meters. So at the end of the year, my pool will have only 40 cm of water , which is 400 kg. So, every year , for every square meter i will need to add 400 kg(or liter) of water.

Is that calculation right?

No It's wrong you'll have to add 600 liter to be back at the original 1000liter

You gain 600 litre thru anual precipitation :

http://web.ead.anl.gov/resrad/datacoll/water.htm cut/paste quote: PRECIPITATION RATE

9.1 DEFINITION

The precipitation rate, Pr, is the average volume of water in the form of rain, snow, hail, or sleet that falls per unit of area and per unit of time at the site. It is measured in units of volume per area per time

Quote end.

And you loose 1200 litre thru anual evaporation : http://www.waterandclimatechange.eu/evaporation
cut/paste Quote:
Evaporation is an important process in the global water cycle. Solar radiation hits the surface of water or land and causes water to change state from a liquid to a gas.

Quote end

Remember you are on a US forum so when you do the mats don't mix mm kg and litre m3 in a equation and ask iff it's right is my 2c or 2 øre (or 0,02 LIRA)

cheers
Thanks sir. I don't know, how i made such a stupid calculation. You are right... smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
csteffen, logme13, taz1313, Tim Sanders
Recent Posts
Windmill System Suggestions
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 06:53 PM
New Pond Build General Information
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 06:41 PM
System advice
by Bill Cody - 06/12/24 03:04 PM
Green Sunfish to Control Crappie Population?
by ewest - 06/12/24 02:47 PM
Gnat removal
by Bill Cody - 06/12/24 02:42 PM
Building a pond in Georgia
by PondGuppy - 06/12/24 01:40 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 01:25 PM
Shoreline plants now submerged. Will they die?
by jludwig - 06/12/24 12:35 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 11:18 AM
Is my pond dying?
by BarbaraE - 06/12/24 11:16 AM
alligator eating my fish food
by FishinRod - 06/12/24 11:07 AM
Turtles in my lake
by 4CornersPuddle - 06/12/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday