Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I was told by a very knowledgeable person that it's typical to have unheated water about 2 degrees below ambient temp. Don't ask me why but I have some guesses.

My money is on evaporative cooling.........

That's what I was guessing.

If I ever need to bring trout inside from fall to spring not heating the water would definitely make it feasible. Of course the biofilter would have to be oversized due to the cooler water.

Just waiting on my O.K. from the INDNR to make arrangements to pick up the trout from Nelski. I hit the well tank pit hard with PP and will also do so with the trout pond tomorrow (it's at full pool now). Then once the water goes from pink to brown I will flush it into my big pond and keep the well running to top off the big pond.

Allegedly the PP does a great job of abolishing parasites and also does some oxidizing of the organic material on the pond bottom.

I'm also going to salt dip the brookies in saltwater strength water before putting them into the pond.

The following may or may not have been parasites the last time I had brookies. It could have also been fighting. All I know was I was losing a few trout every week.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/13/12 12:51 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.