Ok first supplier I spoke with suggested black crappy if I was to stock perch. The second one said bluegill with the perch and the third North Shores said bluegill too. A ratio of 2-1 perch to bluegill.

Not sure if this was the right thing to do but it seems to be what everyone suggests in Ontario with perch.

I really do not want to go to bass but I am sure in the long run I will end up with some in there some how. Every pond around has base weather small or large mouth.

I have stocked 4 pounds of shiners for perch. These shiners are slang for a minnow that is green top half with a green sparkle fleck behind the top of their head to their dorsal fin. I don't see a spot on the tail but they could be very young.

Please please tell me I can control these bluegill with out large mouth bass. The reasoning North Shore gave me "was that the bluegill will spawn twice per year and the perch once. The perch will feed on the bluegill fry and will control them." Is this wrong and will I be fighting these bluegill?

I really would like to have a perch pond with the perch the most prolific fish in the pond.

Me and the boys placed an apple tree cut up into the pond on a 5 foot shallow area. We then placed pine bows on top of the apple tree branches. We had a few small short stumps we placed in 4 foot of water as well. Kind of a beaver hut in away. We have tones of water bugs and frogs in the pond but no plants yet. We would like to add some potted lily pads in the spring to the 4 foot shallow ridge in the pond.

So the water is 53 now so the fish are to bed for the winter. No need to feed them.

The feed is high energy from Martin feed mill in Ontario here. Check link bellow.

http://www.martinmills.com/profishent/HighEnergy%20Fish%20Food%20Ver%2005%202009.pdf

I am hoping that bluegill in warmer climates are hard to control and it will not be as hard or, a big problem for me. May be fertilizing my trees with bluegill mid summer.

Thanks Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.