BGK, Texas Whitetails have small bodies compared to the Midwest and Canada.

I'm figuring that Chris's deer was about 140+ pounds which is a really nice deer here. At 6.5 years, it had started to decline and was probably heavier and might have had a little bigger rack last year.

I've visited a couple of the breeders that have the monster racks that may go 20 points or more. These guys wanted to get a free pond consultant. Very few of those bred freaks go more than 120 pounds. However, if you wanted to buy one for breeding purposes, the price would be in the 6 figure range.

I shot an 8 point 5 or 6 years ago that went 165 lbs field dressed. The rack wasn't but 17 inches wide but the weight was off the charts here. I shot one last year that was another 8 point that went 140 pounds. Lots of Texans have never seen bucks of those sizes. Both of those deer would be about average in the Midwest.

Chris got a really great deer for his area of east Texas. Four bucks have been taken off my land in the last 2 weeks. None would have gone over 100 pounds.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 11/10/12 07:23 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP