dbhelm - I too would like to see the report, data, and rationale that concluded the tshad were influencing the BG recruitment. My first thoughts were: 1. what was the estimated density of tshad to be considered too abundant? 2. If they are too abundant - why? look for that cause. 3. Since tshad are prolific, if their numbers are thinned, why won't their numbers quickly rebound after the first spawn to existing densities? Thus the cost, time and efforts were wasted.
My first inclination is to know what the LMB population structure is and manipulate it to better regulate the numbers of tshad. LMB should be feeding primarily on tshad instead of BG and lack of BG might not be due to tshad. Second plan is to find out why the BG are not recruiting since you think there are not enough BG. Make sure the estimate of BG numbers is accurate. As mentioned tshad rarely cause heavy competition toward BG.

The lack of bream may be due to not enough adequate habitat for BG recruitment and not due to too many tshad.

If it was my pond with what I thought had too many shad I would use the money to not poison fish, but instead stock HSB to help reduce shad numbers plus it would add another great predator sport fish that anglers would probably prefer over the LMB. Then if too many tshad were the problem and BG populations improved it would be a win, win, win, win situation - more BG, a 2nd great predator, no wasted money to kll shad if the problem is not too many tshad and no poisoning of at least some non-target fish which will happen.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/26/12 07:22 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management